When visiting Finland, you learn that the Finns love their Salmon. Finland is surrounded by water, which makes fresh fish extremely common. Finns enjoy adding salmon to their soups, stews, casseroles, and also to this dish, the Finnish Salmon Pie, also known as Lohipiirakka. Finnish Salmon Pie is sold by the piece at the Helsinki fresh food market, at the Finnish Central Railway Station, and at the majority of the cafes in the city. Making your own Finnish Salmon pie is quite a fun experience, and it is relatively similar to making an American Pot Pie. If you can afford to buy fresh Salmon, this would make for a much tastier pie! Also, it may be difficult to find canned salmon in the states, although in Finland canned salmon is extremely common! This Finnish Salmon Pie tastes so good for an evening meal as a main dish. Or, you can also enjoy the Finnish Salmon Pie as a side dish or a snack between meals.
The Finnish Salmon Pie is a traditional Finnish dish which is served as a complete evening meal, or can be sliced up and eaten as a snack throughout the day!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the puff pastry from the package and roll it out into two circles.
- Put one piece of the dough into a lightly greased pie pan (or spray the pan lightly with Pam)
- Melt the butter slowly in a small saucepan.
- Add the flour to the pan until it dissolves.
- Add the milk.
- Slowly boil the mixture for 3 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Once boiling, add the salmon, chopped onion, capers, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Gently pour the milk and salmon mixture into the pie pan.
- Cover the pie with the second circle of puff pastry dough.
- Make creases on the side of the pie with your fingers.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool for around 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
The Finnish Salmon Pie (lohipiirakka) pairs well with a tumbler of dark beer, and this dish can be enjoyed during summer or winter. Also, you can optionally add cooked rice to the inside of the pie, boiled eggs, or other vegetables like mushrooms or carrots to the pie if you want a more complex filling.
Here is another variation of the Finnish Salmon Pie.
- Finnish Squeaky Cheese Recipe
- Spanish Rice Recipe