The Big super bowl game is coming up this weekend! Have you started planning what you will be serving? This onion dip recipe is perfect for your super bowl gathering! No preservatives like a lot of the dips on the supermarket shelves. In my opinion, the best part of the super bowl is preparing all the food! Some of the tastiest snack foods and hors d’oeuvres are served at super bowl parties, and there is nothing more fun for the hostess (or the guest), than to prepare a variety of party trays for the big game.
For the freshest dip, use the freshest Vidalia onions available at your store! This onion dip recipe can also be made using reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat cream cheese, and I find no difference in terms of taste when choosing the lower fat variety. The highlight of this dish is the sweet taste of the onions, so if you are watching your calorie or fat content, then by all means use the lower fat variety.
This onion dip recipe is perfect for your super bowl party!
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat using olive oil.
- Add chopped onions once pan is hot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir frequently until onions are golden brown. (around 15 minutes).
- Let onions cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine onions, sour cream, cream cheese, vinegar, and chives.
- Season with more salt and pepper.
- Chill onion dip for around 1 hour until it is thickened.
- Serve dip with chips, crackers, or a veggie tray.
- Roasted Salmon with White Wine Sauce
- Hot Spinach Dip Recipe