This Finnish Pancake Recipe (Pannukakku) is a tradition passed down through many generations of Finns. Pancakes are a delicious breakfast or brunch food and use simple everyday ingredients. Pannukakku is an in-oven pancake cooked in an oven-safe pan or skillet. Comes out hot and fluffy and is well paired with a topping of berry syrup. Scrumptious! I think this recipe is so popular among Finns because it is very filling breakfast, perfect for sustaining the cold winters. This would also be divine with a cup of coffee, and the Finns love their coffee! This Finnish Pancake Recipe is also a good dessert dish, so you can feel free to serve it with ice cream or chocolate syrup on the top. Also you may consider making a brown sugar glaze for it, if you want to eat it like cake. I have eaten Pannukakku ever since childhood and it’s one of my favorite traditional Finnish foods.
Also this recipe can be doubled or tripled depending on how many people you are feeding. Perfect for serving at a brunch event on the weekends. Pannukakku is versatile so be sure if you want something extra sweet add on the whipped cream or nutella!
This recipe for Finnish Pancakes is absolutely delicious! A wonderful finnish tradition to share with your friends and family or serve at a weekend brunch or party.
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract, stirring with a whisk until creamy. Mix in flour salt, baking powder to the egg mixture.
- Let batter rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- After the mixture is rested, melt butter and use pastry brush to brush the inside of a pan.
- Add extra butter to the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown on the top.
- Slice pancake, serve with maple syrup or cooked berries or jam.
- Combine berries, water and sugar in a small saucepan and boil until cooked.
- Serve on top of pancakes.
Pannukakku is an in-oven pancake. You can serve with a variety of toppings such as maple syrup, berries or nutella.
Did you know there are 37 types of wild berries that grow in Finland?
I also love traditional stove top pancakes! See Paula Deen’s recipe tips here!
Also really like this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, which would be excellent on top of Pannukakku.
- Caffe Shakerato Recipe
- Finnish Rye Bread (Ruisleipä)