For this dish, I combined all my favorite veggies in one casserole. This grated cheesy potato casserole combines grated potatoes, sliced mushrooms and onions, eggs, flour, sour cream, and cheese. This was my first time making this dish, and I will say that after making it there are a few changes I would make. I will list the modifications at the end……oh the art of perfecting the perfect potatoes. I was inspired to make this dish because potatoes and mushrooms are a major part of the Finnish diet. However, I think this dish would be more tasty with the addition of more salt, sour cream, and cheese. Sigh, I must be an American after all.
However, if you are looking for a more diet-friendly recipe, I would suggest not using the sour cream and cheese. You will end up with a casserole that is very strong on the “potatoes”, and ultimately much healthier. Potatoes are one of the best sources of Vitamin C!
This recipe for Grated Potato Casserole combines potatoes, mushrooms, and onions with cheese, eggs, and sour cream. Delicious! In Finnish, this is a modified version of Riivinkropsu.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and mushrooms and set aside.
- Butter a large casserole dish.
- Dice onion and mushrooms into small pieces and put in casserole dish. (you may prefer to sautee these before adding them to the casserole as well)
- Peel potatoes and grate with a medium size grater. Add to casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine milk (or sour cream), salt, olive oil, and eggs. Whisk well.
- Add flour to mixture a little at a time. Whisk until combined.
- Add this to the casserole.
- Add shredded cheese. Use a wooden spoon to combine all ingredients in the dish.
- Salt, pepper, and paprika on top of casserole.
- Cook in oven for 50 minutes- 1 hour or until the top looks crispy!
The sour cream and cheese add more flavor to this dish than the original version I made. When adding these, you will end up with a modified version of "cheesy potatoes".
- MasterChef Season 4 Premiere
- For the cheese lovers!