Here’s a quick and healthy dinner idea for you- this Indian red lentils recipe is great! If you love Indian food, or just love red lentils, then you are sure to love this! I never had Indian food before I moved to New York two years ago. But ever since I tried it, I have been hooked! Also, since I became interested in coming up with my own recipes, I also am trying to learn more skills about how to master some Indian dishes. I haven’t tried anything too complicated yet like a curry,or naan bread, but I’m sure sometime soon I’ll venture into more unfamiliar territory. This dinner dish simply employs the flavors of Indian cuisine, without being to fussy or complicated. The pork is marinated with olive oil and turmeric, which gives it a nice yellow glow when it comes out of the oven. The red lentils are creamy, tender, and sauce-like, and are flavored with Curry Powder, Turmeric, Salt and pepper. and a dash of Cumin.
Zucchini and mushrooms, which not really traditionally used in Indian cooking, are very inexpensive and were on sale at the store, so I decided to use those as well. I hope you enjoy this Indian Red Lentils recipe, (with pork chops and veggies)- it’s a perfect fast meal that is filling and nutritious.
Technically red lentils are native to Morocco, not traditionally Indian, but they are used in a lot of Indian dishes!
This recipe is a combination of nutritious red lentils, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, with the hearty pork chops. Indian-inspired and cooks up pretty quick.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cooking pan with aluminum foil, and season pork chops with salt, pepper, and a small amount of turmeric. Use a small amount of olive oil to moisten the pork chops and "rub in the spice" before cooking.
- Cook pork chops in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Rinse lentils thoroughly with water.
- Begin cooking lentils in a large sauce pan with some water. Cook for approximately 25 minutes or until they begin to dissolve slightly.
- In another saucepan, use olive oil and simmer the onions once the pan heats up. Add zucchini and mushrooms to the pan, and simmer until tender for around 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check on the pork chops and make sure they aren't too tough.
- For lentils, add curry powder, turmeric, 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper, and a dash of cumin and stir.
- Plate and Serve!
If you don't normally eat lentils, it can take some time to learn to love them. This recipe doesn't call for a certain amount of salt for the lentils- so be sure to taste them and salt to your liking.
Also enjoy this recipe for Red Lentil Soup By Martha Stewart
- Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- MasterChef Season 4 – Episode 9 and 10 Recaps