This Finnish Berry Cake Recipe is a great idea for summer. Not only are berries in season for a few more weeks, so you will save some money at the grocery store- but also that eating berries is one of the easiest ways to stay in shape. Why do you think Finns continue to practice the age-old tradition of berry picking year after year? Berries are delicious! Finnish Berry Cake can also be served as a birthday cake easily, just add some candles on top.
This Finnish Berry Cake uses only strawberries and blueberries, because I find that raspberry seeds are not very friendly and get stuck in my teeth, so I rarely use them. This cake is a simple white cake base, with a creamy strawberry jam filling in between the layers, and is topped with whipped cream frosting and blueberries.
Enjoy this cake and let me know how it turns out!
Everything you need to know about picking your own strawberries!
This Finnish Berry Cake is easy and delicious. Made with fresh fruit and topped with whipped topping, so it's light and airy. Slice into delicate pieces and serve with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 9X9 pans with wax paper, greased lightly with crisco
- Using a mixer or wooden spoon, cream together butter and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add milk.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Mix well until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool well until you can easily remove cakes from pans.
- To make strawberry filling, boil chopped strawberries for 5 minutes until soft, add sugar and lemon juice.
- Cool filling in fridge for 30 minutes prior to putting in center of cakes.
- Add thick coating of strawberry filling to one cake, and then place second cake on top of it.
- Spoon whipped topping on top of cake generously until there is a thick coating.
- Add chilled blueberries on top of cake for decoration.
- Slice and serve.
Be sure to use fresh strawberries and blueberries for the best flavor!
Also enjoyed this recipe for Finnish Pancakes with Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
- Homemade Finnish Seafood Pizza Recipe
- Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe