This Finnish Wild Mushroom Soup Recipe is the perfect quick dinner dish. Usually for soups and stews, you are required to simmer for a long time, or add multiple complex ingredients, but not for this recipe! Mushrooms are one of the most delicious vegetables out there in my opinion, and personally I could eat them with every meal. This Finnish Wild Mushroom Soup Recipe is extremely savory and hearty, combining simple ingredients like chicken broth, onions, garlic, shallots, flour, and heavy cream.
Picking the best mushrooms is the key to the ultimate success of this soup. The fancier and “meatier” the mushrooms that you choose, the more delicious the soup will turn out. Chanterelle Mushrooms are considered to be a gourmet delicacy, but these can often be difficult to find at the average grocery store. You might also have some success using Portobello mushrooms, if you dice into mouth size bites. The traditional and classic White Button mushroom, also has a certain timeless appeal, not to mention that you can find it in any store!
In Finland, many varieties of mushrooms grow wild, so in the summer harvest season, it is common to go out to the country and pick bushels of mushrooms. Mushrooms do grow wild in parts of the U.S as well, however it takes a professional to know which are edible and which may be poisonous. For this recipe, I used classic white button mushrooms.
This Finnish Wild Mushroom Soup Recipe is certain to be enjoyed by Mushroom lovers! Makes a wonderful quick dinner dish, and is perfect for the fall and winter seasons.
- Begin by preparing the mushrooms for cooking- wash and dry thoroughly, removing dirt. Then slice into small pieces and set aside.
- Dice onion, and begin sauteeing it in a medium saucepan with some olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and crushed garlic to pan, and cook them over medium heat until most of their water is removed.
- Add white wine to the mushrooms and onions and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In another large pan, begin heating the chicken stock.
- Add butter to chicken stock.
- Add mushroom/onion/garlic to the chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste soup for salt and pepper- adding more as desired.
- At the end, add the heavy cream and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley or a slice of cheese.
You can combine several different types of mushrooms, for more variety in this soup!
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- Chicken Mushroom Risotto Recipe