This Cardamom Toast Recipe is super easy to make, and also is a great breakfast food or dessert hors d’oeuvres! Simply butter your toast and sprinkle on cinnamon, sugar, and ground cardamom, pop it in the oven for 10 minutes and you are set!
Cardamom is one of the staples in a lot of Finnish and Scandinavian dishes. How we grind our cardamom, is to use a mortar and pestle, and to grind the whole cloves up. Grinding about half a teaspoon of whole cloves is enough to have some for this recipe, and some to throw over your shoulder for good luck. (ok, that’s what you do with salt, but maybe in Finland they like to sprinkle cardamom?) Ok that’s a lie.
The cardamom I use is Frontier Whole Cardamom seeds, which are organic. It’s sometimes difficult to find cardamom, so this is what I happened to find- but I’m sure other brands are equally good. When you open up the cardamom bottle it smells like fruit loops, which is both strange and intriguing as well as yummy! Don’t sniff the cardamom too much, it’s a very strong aroma so it could burn if you try to breathe it in too much.
But cardamom is one of my favorite spices, its warm and savory aroma can be spicy and intimidating to some, but it is a distinct delicacy to most Finns.
This Cardamom toast recipe is perfect for a group dessert, you can cut the toast into small pieces and then stick a toothpick in each one and serve on a pretty tray.
This Cardamom Toast Recipe is sugary sweet and filled with the rich taste of cardamom. Perfect to serve as a side with coffee or other dessert items.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread into 4 squares each, or you can alternatively use a cookie cutter and cut the bread into small shapes using cookie cutters.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Use a pastry brush to brush butter onto the toast squares.
- Sprinkle each square with an even disbursement of cinnamon, sugar, and cardamom.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. (If you like your toast extra crunchy you can bake it for longer, but be careful to not burn!)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- This cardamom toast is perfect to cook right before the meal so that it can be served piping hot.
- Nutella Ice Cream Recipe
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe