This Finnish Nissua Bread Recipe is a family favorite during Christmas! It does take a fairly long time to make this recipe (about 5-6 hours in total), so I usually set it aside to make on a weekend. The loaves make excellent gifts to give to friends and family- which is why I usually make a huge batch of Finnish Nissua at this time of year. This bread has the rich taste of Cardamom, and can also be iced with a white frosting glaze if you like, and topped with sliced almonds. This Finnish Nissua Bread Recipe has been passed down from many generations of Finns, so I’d reccommend giving it a try! I also made cinnamon rolls using the dough from this bread, as you can see in the photo below. To make the cinnamon rolls, you just add raisins and assemble into rolls, you can also see my recipe here!
This Finnish Nissua Bread Recipe is a Finnish Classic! Perfect for serving this Christmas season!
- Begin heating milk in a saucepan on the stovetop until it starts to bubble, then remove from heat.
- Add butter, sugar, and salt until melted. Let this mixture cool until lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit for around 10 minutes until it is frothy at the top.
- Pour milk mixture into a large bowl. Beat in eggs, 3 cups flour, cardamom and yeast mixture. Cover mixture with a towel and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rest of the flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Knead for 15 minutes. Keep adding flour until the dough is moist (but not sticky) and has pulled together.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and once the dough as pulled together into one giant ball, add the dough to the bowl.
- Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise for one hour.
- After it has risen, you can begin assembling the bread into loaves and braiding each loaf.
- Braid using three pieces of dough per loaf.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets, set aside and let the loaves rise again for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for around an hour. Once cool, you can make the optional glaze below!
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and powdered sugar.
- Stir in vanilla and 2 teaspoons milk.
- Spread Glaze over the bread.
- Snowball Cookies with Almonds Recipe
- Finland Private Islands For Sale