Happy early Valentine’s day! I will be pretty busy next weekend so I wanted to get my Valentine’s baking out of the way a little early! Who wouldn’t want to bake a superb red velvet cake for their honey?
This Single layer red velvet heart cake is cut out of a round pan, but if you have a heart-shaped pan you can also use that. The red velvet comes out smooth and creamy, and the cake is very moist and chocolatey!
The frosting is made using sour cream, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. It is whipped in a mixer for 5 minutes until creamy. Cool cake for around 45 minutes before frosting, and you are all set! As you can see, I have only dirty-iced the cake so far- but you can add multiple layers of frosting if you don’t want to see the cake beneath the frosting.
This single layer red velvet heart cake is small enough for a group of three or four to share!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan well with butter or crisco.
- Sift together the baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and softened butter in a mixer until frothy looking.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add three eggs, one at a time, until all are combined.
- Add the buttermilk and white vinegar to the liquid mixture, beating on low speed.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture a little at a time to the liquid ingredient, beating on low.
- Add the food coloring last- I used one entire small bottle of red, and a few drops of blue which will darken the color to not make it so pink.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl twice to make sure all the ingredients have been mixed in.
- Pour batter into baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes. (Don't bake any longer!)
- Cool cake for 45 minutes.
- Turn over pan onto a cutting board and cut out a heart shape from the cake using a knife.
- Combine softened butter and sour cream in a mixer until whipped in appearance, add vanilla extract, add powdered sugar a little at a time until the frosting thickens.
- Chill frosting in refrigerator while waiting for the cake to cool.
- Frost and decorate cake as desired.
- Happy Valentines Day!
This recipe can be doubled if you would like to make a round red velvet layer cake!
- Banana Glazed Cupcakes Recipe
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake Recipe