Looking for a wonderful weekend afternoon recipe to share with your family? Well look no further! This Apple Crumb Cake Recipe is so savory and delicious with the taste of baked apples inside and a crispy crust on the top of the cake. I’d compare this recipe to a less decadent Apple Cobbler. It is sweet but also with the use of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, so the spiciness helps to balance out some of the sweetness.
This Apple Crumb Cake recipe is easy to make and will keep people coming back for seconds!
- Prepare the apples by peeling, coring, and slicing, and set aside. If you will be setting aside for longer than a half hour, you may want to coat the slices with lemon juice to prevent them from browning before they reach the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix together.
- Using a nut grinder, grind the nuts (almonds or cashews) together until they are a powder. Add this to the mixer.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Add 1/2 the vegetable oil mixture, and one half the flour mixture.
- Once it is mixed in, add the other half of both ingredients.
- Prepare a 8X8 square cake pan by greasing with butter.
- Begin layering your cake, it should go: small amount of batter, apples, small amount of batter, apples.
- Top the cake with the ground up granola bars which will make the crunchy crust. You can also sprinkle additional cinnamon on top to your liking.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the top is crisp and browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes- slice and serve.
- Finnish Spoon Cookies Recipe (Lusikkaleivat)
- Finnish Mämmi Recipe (Easter Pudding)