Finnish Mämmi Recipe (Easter Pudding)
Happy Easter readers! It’s time to make up some Mämmi! If you like this stuff, which most Finns do, I’d recommend making at least 2 pans full to serve for your big Easter dinner.
Mämmi is a Finnish pudding-like dessert, which is typically served on Easter. If you’ve never had it before, it can be a little weird tasting- but after a few bites you realize that the texture is just a little different than your typical American-style pudding. I repeat: this is not supposed to taste like pudding!
When cooking Mämmi, your house will smell like oranges, this is from the orange peel. Mämmi is topped with powdered sugar and you get a creamier consistency by adding cream to the top and mixing it all together.
Notes on the texture you should look to achieve in this recipe: Try not to overcook the Mämmi! Overcooking it will result in it becoming even more rubbery than it is naturally, so it’s much better to have it be undercooked than overcooked. The consistency of it will set more when it chills.
For the powdered sugar and cream in this recipe, these are the toppings for it. You can also top with nuts, more raisins, or cinnamon, or even chocolate- it’s up to you!
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a saucepan, heat the water, molasses, and salt until it is warm.
- Slowly stir in the rye flour, bring to a slow boil, while beating constantly with a whisk. Add orange peel, and raisins to the mixture and boil for around 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a 1 ½ quart casserole dish. (9 X 13 size or larger)
- Try to fill the dish around 3/4 full, to allow enough room for rising.
- The last step is to put in a slow oven (275 degrees) for three hours. The slow cooking prevents the pudding from burning or boiling over. You can also grease the pan to prevent sticking, although it isn't really necessary.
- Cool before serving, and when storing store covered to prevent it from drying out in the refrigerator.
- Serve with lots of sugar and cream on top!
- Apple Crumb Cake Recipe
- Finnish Pickled Herring Bites Appetizer Recipe