Glögi, a Finnish Christmas Drink Recipe
This recipe for Glögi is one of my faves for the holidays! When choosing which red wine to use for this recipe, I’d recommend going with a wine that has a fruitier taste to it, because when adding the spirits to the wine, the taste may be too strong for some. You may even consider cutting out the spirits, or adding some sugar to the mix if it is still too strong for your taste! The best red wines to go with for Glögi are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Shiraz. If you use a wine which is too dry, your Glögi won’t be as sweet, so if you can find a wine which specifically lists its “fruitiness” on the label, then you should be all set.
Glögi is typically served in festive mugs for the holidays, making sure the raisins are parced equally into each cup, to enjoy tasting at the close of each glass.
- Empty wine and other spirits into a large pot on the stove top.
- Add the squeezed orange juice, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, and raisins.
- Simmer for around 30 minutes on the stove until all the flavors have blended together in the wine.
- Add the orange peel zest individually into each glass, and make sure each glass gets a sprinkling of raisins!
This recipe for Glögi, a traditional Finnish Christmas drink, is wonderfully delicious and will indeed get you feeling merry!
- Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread
- Nutella Smores Pie Recipe