Finnish Lihapiirakka Recipe Meat Pie
Finnish Lihapiirakka Recipe
These Finnish meat pies use ground beef, rice, and spices. The dough is flaky with a nice crust when baked. Yummy!
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups of white flour, more for kneading, enough to be firm but moist. (more for dusting)
1/2 cup melted butter
Meat Filling Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground lean
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup pre-cooked rice (white or brown)
- Put rice in a rice cooker to cook, or cook on stovetop.
- Cook ground beef and onion together and add salt, pepper, parsley to taste, set aside.
- Add cooked rice to the beef and stir well. Set aside while you make dough!
- To make dough, first add yeast to warm milk and let sit for around 15 minutes until foamy.
- In a mixer, combine yeast/milk mixture, eggs, salt, melted butter, sugar, and add flour a little at a time until dough begins to come together and you can knead.
- Knead dough into a large bowl and set aside for 1 hour to rise. Place warm towel over bowl to aid in this process.
- After dough has risen, cut out circles of dough (freehand), circles will be roughly 4 inches in diameter.
- You can also use a cookie cutter, if you have a large enough one.
- Put meat/onion mixture in center of each circle then close up by using your thumbs around the sides.
- Use a pastry brush to brush on beaten egg mixture on each pie.
- Some recommend letting pies rise again for 1 hour before baking (optional).
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Copyright 2013 FinnishFoodGirl.com
- Hernekeitto Finnish Split Pea Soup
- Lemon Zest Cookies Recipe