This Finnish Butter Cookies Recipe is a delightful recipe for the upcoming fall and holiday season. You can cut these cookies out with cookie cutters in shapes of your choosing which makes them extremely versatile for any holiday party!
I would recommend crushing up the almonds to a powder in a food processor, and then having additional larger cut almond chunks which you dust over the top of each cookie- although it’s totally up to what you would like to do.
You can also make frosting for these cookies if you like, but I prefer to keep them simple with just the egg mixture and almond dust. These cookies have a delicate and rich buttery taste while not being to heavy or weighed down. They should have a slight crunch on the outside and a fluffy creamy texture inside when you bite into them.
Finnish butter cookies are different from traditional sugar cookies because they are sprinkled with crushed almonds, which adds a delicate texture to the top of each cookie.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in almond extract.
- Add flour a little at a time until well mixed.
- Cover and chill dough for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 thick.
- Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut out to your liking!
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Beat egg white until foamy- brush over cookies before baking.
- Sprinkle cookies with sugar and almonds.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until slightly brown.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy
This recipe for Finnish butter cookies is easy to make and easy to eat!
- Lemon Zest Cookies Recipe
- Finnish Christmas Beetroot Salad